Get Probabilty of Survival in Minutes
We know that the treatment of skeletal metastases is challenging. Our goal is to provide orthopaedic surgeons and patients with a diagnostic tool—a predictive model—that will help them decide whether surgery or a more durable implant is more appropriate. In doing so, we hope to avoid over- or under-treatment of the condition and maximize every patient's function and quality of life for the greatest amount of time.How PATHFx Works
How PATHFx Works
PATHFx was externally validated using a large, international metastatic disease registry . It is capable of generating the likelihood of survival at 3- and 12-months post-surgery. With this in mind, patients with short life expectancies may require less invasive surgery, including intramedullary nailing or other fixation techniques [2,3]. In contrast, patients with longer survival estimates are generally thought to require more durable reconstructive options that increase both the perioperative risk and the duration of rehabilitation [4,5,6].
- Forsberg JA, Wedin R, Bauer H, Hansen BH, Laitinen M, Trovik CS, Keller JØ, Boland PJ, Healey JH, External Validation of the Bayesian Estimated Tools for Survival (BETS) Models in Patients With Surgically Treated Skeletal Metastases, BMC Cancer BMC Cancer. 2012 Oct 25;12(1):493.
- Ward WG, Holsenbeck S, Dorey FJ, Spang J, Howe D. Metastatic disease of the femur: surgical treatment. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003;415(suppl):S230-S244.
- Weiss KR, Bhumbra R, Biau DJ, Griffin AM, Deheshi B, Wunder JS, Ferguson PC. Fixation of pathological humeral fractures by the cemented plate technique. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011;93:1093-1097.
- Manoso MW, Healey JH. Metastatic cancer to the bone. In: DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008.
- Steensma M, Boland PJ, Morris CD, Athanasian E, Healey JH. Endoprosthetic treatment is more durable for pathologic proximal femur fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470(3): 920-926.
- Wedin R, Bauer HC, Wersäll P. Failures after operation for skeletal metastatic lesions of long bones. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999;358:128-139.